Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Corner Stone

During the first 100 years of Masonry in Pueblo, the Grand Lodge has assembled in the Pueblo County many times to lay the cornerstones of public buildings in due and ancient form.

They include:

» Pueblo Public Water Works, Fourth and Grand, June 24, 1874

» South Pueblo Lodge No.31 Temple, May 26, 1882

» Methodist College, Lake and Abriendo, June 24, 1887

» Pueblo County Court House, Dec. 31, 1908 (This stone was removed and the time capsule was opened, and contents removed Nov. 26, 2013. The contents will be on display at the Robert Hoag Rawlings Library.)

» State Armory at Fairgrounds, July 1, 1922

» Park Hill Junior High School, now Risley, April 6, 1923

» Addition to Park Hill Junior High School, June 11, 1927

» Thatcher Elementary School, Sept. 12, 1927

» Young Women's Christian Association Building, Jan. 15, 1935

» Pueblo Community Chest Building, May 16, 1936

» Park Hill Junior High School addition, Nov. 3, 1948

» Police Headquarters Building, Feb. 22, 1949

» Southern Colorado Consistory Temple, April 13, 1950

» McClelland Public Library, Sept. 12, 1964

» Frying pan-Arkansas Project Administration Building, June 11, 1966

» Fire station at Colorado City, Aug. 20, 1966

» Pueblo Junior College

» Pueblo County High School

» City Park Golf Clubhouse, June 9, 1967

 

More than 1,500 Masons and friends attended the Police Building ceremonies. The secular clergy, for the only time in Pueblo's history, made a public objection to the traditional cornerstone laying by the Masonic fraternity.

No Cornerstones Laid During War

The Grand Lodge was asked in 1917 to lay the cornerstone of the Pueblo City Hall and Memorial Hall, but the lodge declined. It explained that the Grand Lodge felt it was improper to have formal cornerstone rites during the World War. The double structure was completed in 1919. The war then had ended and President Woodrow Wilson was touring the nation, speaking in behalf of the League of Nations. His address on Sept. 25, 1919 in Memorial Hall served to dedicate it to the memory of Puebloans who fought in World War I. This proved to be President Wilson's last public address. He collapsed soon after his special train left Pueblo en route to Wichita, Kan.

The Grand Lodge convened in Pueblo Dec. 27, 1910 to dedicate the Pueblo Masonic Building at 207 N. Main.